Maybe it was last night's demoralizing treadmill run that made me appreciate this trail run all the more, but I'm so glad I made it to Taughannock today for my hill workout. I went out for a 55-minute effort, descended both rims to the stairs and back. Along the way, I was treated to several things that made me feel particularly blessed to be a runner today:
- Started off in brilliant sunshine.
- Thawed trails with a half-inch covering of powdery snow made for slip-free, crunchy footfalls.
- Just a handful of locals on the trails, no throngs of tourists today.
- Random slips of mud that didn't take me out, but rather gave my feet a refreshing, cool splash.
- One point where the gorge filled with flying snow, making for poor visibility and swift blowing snow across my path.
- Ended in brilliant sunshine.